help

Does my baby sleep too much?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 309
laurazuke Posted: 06-28-2011 4:01 PM

My baby girl is 5 1/2 months old.  She sleeps good through the night, usually goes to bed between 8 and 10 and then wakes up between 5 and 8.  She has been sleeping through the night since 4 weeks old, so that is not a concern.  But what I am not sure about is that during the day she can NOT stay awake for more then 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time.  She needs a nap every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  She will usually sleep 30 to 60 minutes.  Every once in a while we will get a 1 to 2 hour nap and even more rare is a 3 hour nap.  Is it normal for a baby not to be able to stay awake for more then 2 hours?

Thank you for your input:)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,042
stephanie9105 replied on 06-28-2011 5:42 PM

I'm not sure if it's "normal" but that is DD's schedule....except for sleeping through the night. She still gets up to eat around 2 or 3 am. She takes catnaps at daycare...sleeping every couple of hours for about 30 minutes. They told me some kids are just like that. Kind of like adults who have different sleep needs.

If she's gaining weight/eating I wouldn't worry about it.

Me (32), DH (33), Vince, the yellow lab (3), Wylie, the disgruntled cat (9), and Lily, the baby!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 4,108
ngm replied on 06-29-2011 10:05 AM

I agree, I wouldn't worry about it, that doesn't sound too unusual.   The only reason I would be worrying was if she was lethargic in between those naps.  If she's awake and happy, eats, pees and poops well otherwise, I wouldn't worry at all.  she'll start spacing out her sleeps  in the next few months.

Nicola (35)
DH(37)
Samantha (2)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 667
beandance replied on 07-01-2011 12:50 PM

I think that all sounds very normal to me.  She'll gradually be able to stay awake for longer stretches.  My baby is almost 8 months and can now happily stay awake for 3 hours.

Not Ranked
Posts 43
wanderer replied on 07-04-2011 11:02 PM

My DS is nearly 5 1/2 months old. Until recently he's had 4 naps a day, of about 45 minutes each. I just can't convince him to take longer naps. He goes to bed about 6 or 7pm and wakes up around 6am (I feed him when I go to bed without waking him up fully.) He got sick (strep throat- and not his first time with that! Argh!) and is recovering, but now seems to sleep twice a day, at 45 minutes each, and even then it can be a struggle to get him down (no more putting him down awake and letting him drift off). Its amazing how quickly things change! But I worked out that friends' babies slept a similar amount of time, only over two naps instead of four.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS