help

BumGenius - how long did yours last?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 111
karena02 Posted: 06-29-2011 12:14 AM

So, I have been using BumGenius AIO Organics for 10 months now. I only have 13 of them, so they get washed about 3-4 times a week. Just in the past few weeks, DS has been leaking CONSTANTLY. I don't know if it's the diapers or if he is just suddenly peeing a lot more.

I'm wondering if you used BumGenius, how yours held up? 

How long did your BumGenius AIOs last?

• 0-6 months of frequent washing (0%)
  • 0-6 months, 1-2 washes a week (0%)
  • 6-12 months, frequent washing (50%)
  • 6-12 months, 1-2 washes a week (0%)
  • Mine lasted more than 1 child! - frequent wash (0%)
  • Mine lasted more than 1 child - 1-2 washes a week (50%)
You voted for 'Mine lasted more than 1 child - 1-2 washes a week'.
  • Total Votes: 2

DH (27) Me (27) - First anniversary on March 28, 2011

DS (10 mos) - Born 8/10/10, a surprise! Doctors told me I'd probably never have kids without help, so...who needs birth control? :-) 

We are waiting to see what God gives us, so we're not TTC or TTA. Still EBF, but AF came at 3.5 mos PP...

http://tcoyf.com/members/karena02/charts/default.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,132
shalini replied on 06-29-2011 6:35 PM

Hmm I have pockets not AIOs but mine are good. The velcro looks ratty but otherwise they're not leaking or anything. I'd suggest you look into stripping your diapers.

Shalini - 33 | DH - 34 | Baby Boy - 6 | Angel April, 2009 | Baby Girl arrived on May 21st, 2010.

Breastfeeding, Baby-wearing, Cloth diapering, Co-Sleeping and adoring my baby

My Chart

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Need cloth diapers? I make pockets and AI2s. PM me Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 276
forthekiddo replied on 06-29-2011 7:55 PM

Have you tried stripping them?  It could just be detergent build up that's causing the issue.  

I had my DS in BG(2.0) until he was over 2, at which point the velcro was failing so badly it was a hassle.  I have a huge rotation of diapers including prefolds but they were worn every day, all day, including at daycare (we didn't use sposies on occasion, we CD'ed full time).  I also had some happy heinys in there as well.  

If I stay pregnant this time (a big if at the moment) I will pull them out again and replace the velcro on them and they should be ok to use again.  BG sells kits, but a friend of mine sells them so she said she has some freebies I can have.  

I wish I'd bought diapers with snaps not velcro in hindsight (it seriously gets wrecked in the wash and dryer I find, even if you're diligent and line dry pretty often like I did).  

DH (34) and me (32), and DS - conceived 1st month trying (!) & born at home Aug 08; 2 shelter cats & 2 big dogs.

TTC #2 since 08/09. Two very early miscarriages 02/10 and 09/10.  

After a long series of hurdles (HSGs, lap, letrozole, mycoplasma infection, antibiotics, and gonal-f with a trigger FINALLY got a BFP June 15, 2011.  Beta June 17 (13DPO) was 70, doubled to 151 at 15DPO, hoping this one sticks!  

Not Ranked
Posts 111
karena02 replied on 06-29-2011 10:14 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The last time I had build up, DS got a rash, but maybe he is older and not as sensitive. 

The other reason I thought they might be wearing out is because I've been at my in-laws for 6 weeks and their HE machines might be hotter than the ones at home. (...It has been a LONG six weeks! lol)  I am starting to see some small holes in the cotton near the leg elastics. There's no way for me to line dry here. :-( 

Mine are snaps, and I've had to replace about 6 of them because they either pull off or part of the plastic peels off. Easy fix though.

Next kid, I think I will try to do prefolds and covers more just so I can buy more of them. We never could afford more than the dozen or so of the cloth diapers we have. We couldn't figure out how to keep him from leaking at night without changing him TWICE in the dark, so we have used disposables at night. Also keeps the washing on the CD down a little. 

Good luck with your LO this time! 

DH (27) Me (27) - First anniversary on March 28, 2011

DS (10 mos) - Born 8/10/10, a surprise! Doctors told me I'd probably never have kids without help, so...who needs birth control? :-) 

We are waiting to see what God gives us, so we're not TTC or TTA. Still EBF, but AF came at 3.5 mos PP...

http://tcoyf.com/members/karena02/charts/default.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 634
titanium replied on 06-30-2011 11:07 AM

I've been using mine for 22 months now, 2-3 washes a week.  They're absorbing just fine but the velcro is crap, so I'm slowly replacing them with EcoBumz and Comfy Rumps.

Not Ranked
Posts 463
BabyCatcher replied on 06-30-2011 7:44 PM

I agree that it sounds like a buildup problem.  You may also need to put them in the dryer on med heat to help seal any tiny holes that have developed in the PUL.  I try to do that no more than once a month. 

I've used mine for 9 months now.  The velcro on my AIO is totally dead because I do throw that one in the dryer due to very long drying time.  My pockets' velcro looks awful but is still working.  I will slowly try to rip out the velcro and add snaps.  I wash every 2 days. 

Pretty disappointing considering the price.  I like my prefolds better for daytime, BG double-stuffed for overnight.

Not Ranked
Posts 276
forthekiddo replied on 06-30-2011 9:23 PM

I loved prefolds during the day when DS was younger but as he got older and moved around more (crawling, walking) he hated prefolds because they weren't terribly trim as he moved more but younger it was great.  We also used wool longies with prefolds or fitted diapers though as well and they were great (make your own longies with some elastic trim and the arms from wool sweaters at thrift stores for a cheap cover) it's not great when you're going out but lovely at home.  

DH (34) and me (32), and DS - conceived 1st month trying (!) & born at home Aug 08; 2 shelter cats & 2 big dogs.

TTC #2 since 08/09. Two very early miscarriages 02/10 and 09/10.  

After a long series of hurdles (HSGs, lap, letrozole, mycoplasma infection, antibiotics, and gonal-f with a trigger FINALLY got a BFP June 15, 2011.  Beta June 17 (13DPO) was 70, doubled to 151 at 15DPO, hoping this one sticks!  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS