Archive Site

Search

help

A couple of C-Section/Breast feeding questions...

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 889
pixiesmom Posted: 06-30-2011 10:33 PM

Hello Ladies!

I am 21 weeks along now with twins.  Very excited, but have a few questions regarding c-sections and breast feeding.

For those of you that had a section and breast fed, can you tell me how your experience went?  My son, after a vaginal birth was able to latch on within minutes of delivery.  I am just curious how long your babies had to wait to get to the breast and if they may have needed a supplemental feeding in the mean time?

Was it easier to use a nursing pillow in the beginning? or were you too sore to sit up?

All in all I guess any information or tips anyone may have to offer would be great!  I am not sure how these babies will come, but I would like to be prepared for a section!

Thank you!

Flowers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 07-02-2011 3:53 PM

Congrats on your twins!!

I have never had multiples, but I have had 3 c-sections and breastfed all 3 of my boys, so I hope I am qualified to answer your questions.  Smile

I have never had a single problem breastfeeding any of my boys (well, I had mastitis a couple of times with ds#1, but that had nothing to do with my c-section.)  No latching problems, no supply problems.  My milk always came in quickly (more quickly than my SIL did with her vaginal birth, in fact; however I think this is VERY individual.)  I wasn't able to nurse them until after I was out of recovery.  For ds#1, that took awhile because it was an absolute emergency c-section and he was getting oxygen and other necessary interventions in the nursery before I could see.  But with the other two non-emergency c-sections, as soon as I was out of recovery - so, when they were an hour old.  They did not have any supplemental feedings in the meantime, in fact they never had any at all.

I have never found nursing pillows to be necessary, but it may also be because I do not have large breasts (just like how I have never needed a nursing bra.)  In the hospital for the first few days after birth, I did usually keep a pillow on my lower abdomen at all times so I suppose a nursing pillow could have been used in the same manner.  But I used to own a boppy and found it completely worthless.  Again, though, I think this is just personal preference.

My #1 tip for having a c-section, and it has nothing to do with breastfeeding:  Granny Panties.  Do yourself a favor and buy about a week's worth of granny panties...the high waisted ones.  Trust me, you don't want cute little bikini cut undies that will rub right against your c-section scar.  It is itchy enough as it heals, anything rubbing against it will just irritate it all the more.

Good luck!!

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS