help

Jemima's 1hr, 20 min labor

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 141
petes_wife Posted: 07-01-2011 3:30 PM

My first two pregnancies were so very similar. By the time I was 37 weeks or so, I was progressed to around 4cm and most of the way effaced and delivered by the end of 38 weeks with very short labors (2 hrs 15 min for my first and 45 min for my second).

Since my third pregnancy seemed similar during the first two trimesters, I just assumed that labor and delivery would be the same. At my first check at 37.5 weeks, I was barely 2cm and 60% effaced. Baby was still floating. Same the next week. And the next. And the next. I was overdue and couldn't believe it. Fortunately, I felt great physically. I honestly felt like I could keep going. NOT that I wanted to. Stick out tongue

Finally, on June 25th, things happened.40 weeks, 5 days.

1:30am: I woke up. I felt weird. Not in labor, just weird. I couldn't sleep. I decided to use the bathroom and my heart totally skipped a beat when I saw the tiniest bit of pink...I've never had any bloody show until about 30 minutes before I have a baby in my arms. I threw a few last minute things into my hospital bag just in case, even though I still wasn't feeling much as far as contractions go. I thought maybe I just wasn't concentrating enough to feel the contractions, so I sat down at the computer and timed 3 contractions. 1 min, 30 seconds apart. The third contraction was actually painful, so I decided to wake up my husband to see what he thought we should do. 

1:40am: As I walked back into our bedroom, my husband half-asleep said, "Are you ok?" I told him that I didn't think he'd have to go into work that day. He shot up, although still half-asleep, and barraged me with questions, "Are you serious? Are you in labor? Are you joking with me? Do we need to leave?" I told him that I was pretty certain that I was in labor, but I didn't think it seemed like it was going to be fast like our others. My smart man told me that if I was in labor, we were leaving for the hospital. My s-i-l was called and she was over in 5 minutes to stay here with our two boys.

2:00am: We arrive at the hospital. I'm feeling contractions very close together, but I'm also still feeling in control and not in too much pain. I decide that I really want to walk into the hospital myself. For some silly reason, I've always wanted to do that. We walk a few steps. I have a contraction. We walk a few more. I have a contraction. Feeling a few double peaking contractions now. Once we're inside, they wheel me up to the maternity ward. 

2:10am: They check me and I'm at 6cm, fully effaced, baby at 0 station. With my first two, I've always arrived at the hospital fully dilated and pushing. I couldn't decide if I was pleased or displeased with 6cm. On the one hand, I've always said that I wished my labors would be slower, on the other, I wanted my baby in my arms NOW and I had more time to scare myself about the pain I was about to be in. I decided to suck it up, take advantage of the extra time and really get into a good mindset. 

2:10-2:40am: My husband was amazing, amazing, amazing. I stood beside the bed and just leaned on him as he comforted me and instructed me to breath and relax. It's so amazing how helpful that is. I KNOW in my head that I need to breath and relax, but my body totally forgets and decides not to breath and completely tenses up. I felt like we were a great team and it was exactly the way I always pictured and hoped to labor. 

2:45am: The nurse hears the change in my tone as I'm going through contractions and asks if she can check me again. She does and I'm at 9cm. She calls the doc in. By the time he gets in the room, I'm pushing with contractions. I decided not to tell them, but to just labor down a little. With the others, I wished that I had done that. I could feel the baby moving down.

2:50am: I could feel the baby crowning and I tell them that I'm pushing. BURNING!!! In that one contraction, the baby's head is out. And in the next, I push the baby all the way out. Oh, what relief.

2:52:am: It's a girl. 6lbs., 4oz. 19.5in. My sweet Jemima is here. We didn't know what we were having - my husband has insisted the entire pregnancy that we were having a girl. I had been saying boy. He has a better intuition than I do apparently. We love her and so do her two brothers. 

I'm so thankful. I was really nervous going into this labor, since my last just came so quick and it was overwhelming and scary for me. But, this one was perfect. People keep asking if we had another fast labor. I know 1 hour and 20 minutes IS a fast labor, but it didn't feel fast (in a good way).

I love my babies - I'm ready for another. Stick out tongue

Thanks for reading!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7,811
Miss Kelly replied on 07-01-2011 11:46 PM

What a fantastic story!

Kelly 36 Kirk 40
Baby BoyJordan 17Baby GirlMeredith 7Baby GirlPaige 5Baby GirlNora 16months
Angel6 DA's in HeavenAngel

Joined TCOYF 6/16/2001

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,687
1fitmama replied on 07-02-2011 9:18 PM

GREAT story!!  Love it!  Congrats!! She's a beauty!

Me 33 Kiss DH 35

DS 5 Baby Boy 10/25/05 (born @ 41+2, 5lbs 15oz due to being IUGR from Pre-E)

Dx with non-IR PCOS January 2009 but have been off BCP since April 2008

On 1000mg of Metformin XR daily. Cycles are finally around 40-50 days long and I am ovulating!

Cycle 4 on Metformin; Nest on CD 24; 14DPO~2/6/10 BFP!!!Surprise EDD 10/17/10 (according to ultrasound), just one day difference from when DS was due in 2005 (10/16/05)!! Big Smile

BIG Ultrasound JUNE 1st!!  It's a GIRL!!!  Baby Girl

Baby Girl Born via elective repeat csection on 10/11/10 @ 10:27am, 7lbs 5oz, 19inches long!! 

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/1fitmama/charts/4.aspx

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 1,854
Sweetsmurf replied on 07-03-2011 1:19 AM

Congrats!  She's beautiful! 

M/C - Sept 22/09 - 12wks2days Angel

Life is funny. It can make you inexplicably happy, and also inexplicably sad. It can knock you down so that you feel you won't be able to carry on any longer, but then you find the strength to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and carry on, stronger than before.

Not Ranked
Posts 249
NCdreaming replied on 07-05-2011 2:38 PM

Wow, and I thought my 4 1/2 hour labor was fast!  What a great story, and your daughter is beautiful!

me - 35  DH - 41

My sweet babies:

Clara - 5

Cecily - 4-3-11  two weeks early and perfect!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS