help

Toddler Stranger Anxiety

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,935
alc1113 Posted: 07-04-2011 7:05 PM

If your toddler had stranger anxiety, how old were they when it started and how long did it last? 

TIA!Flowers

Amy- 34 DH- 36 Mom to 4 furbabies & 3(2 furry, 1 not) who went over the rainbow bridge

Angel 1/09-blighted ovum after trying for 1 year Broken Heart

Angel 4/09- chemical

Angel 5/09- chemical

Cycle 4- TTA just for a couple months but had an "ooops" CD 12...BFP 9DPO on an CBE and 10DPO on an AE.....STICK!!!! Pray started progesterone 6/23 appt 9/3 heard HB! nuchal scan 8/24 follow up bw 9/18 negative Yes 15 DPO- 199 23 DPO- 7883 Fingers Crossed u/s 6w4d- HB 130, measuring 6w4d Yes[/size] 20w u/s 10/12... 22w follow up u/s.... 

Baby GirlCharlotte Elizabeth- born March 6, 2010 at 7:11pm, 8lbs, 15 ozs and 22 inches long. She is perfect!!!!!

Currently TTA, waiting till next year to decide if we will have another

For Mother with Child O almighty and Everlasting God Who through the operation of the Holy Christ, didst prepare the body and soul of the glorious Virgin Mary to be a worthy dwelling place of Thy divine Son; and, through the operation of the same Holy Ghost, didst sanctify Saint John the Baptist, while still in his mother’s womb; hearken to the prayers of Thy humble servant who implore thee, through the intercession of Saint Gerard, to protect her (me); that it may be cleansed by the saving water of baptism and, after a Christian life on earth, it may with its mother, attain everlasting bliss in Heaven. Amen.

Prayer To Avoid a Miscarriage Humble Virgin and Doctor of the Church, in thirty-three years thou didst achieve great perfection and became the counselor of Popes. Thou knowest the temptations of mothers today as well as the dangers that await unborn infants. Intercede for me that I may avoid miscarriage and bring forth a healthy baby who will become a true child of God. Amen.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 13,872
minimurph replied on 07-04-2011 8:59 PM

DD had it bad. From 8 months to about 3-3.5 years old. She's still a little reserved around new people but that's her personality. She is much more open now at 5 than she was. She'll say thank you if someone says something nice to her in the store, etc. Where when she was younger, she'd turn away and cry and cling to me.  It was really bad with men, in particular. Including my dad (who, at the time when she was about a year old, only came by every few weeks so she really didn't "know" him much) and FIL. Now she runs to him, etc.

DS has no stranger anxiety. He ran up to the door a few weeks ago to tell the roofer that he had baby apples on his hands (stamps from Little Gym). IndifferentLaughHeart

Not Ranked
Posts 249
NCdreaming replied on 07-05-2011 2:21 PM

With my oldest, from about 6 months to around age 2.5 - 3.  I can't tell you how many times we would spend an entire play date or other activity with her on my hip, crying if I tried to put her down.  I would look around at the other toddlers playing independently or with other kids and wonder what I was doing wrong.   I really thought she was going to be shy and withdrawn all her life, and it worried me.  Sometime around age 3, however, her personality really changed and she became almost the opposite - outgoing and not shy at all, with no problem separating from me.  At 5, she is a bit reserved with adults but not at all with other kids.  

I never pushed her as a toddler to be more social, although everyone told me I should.  I figured she's either outgrow it in her own time, or that it  was just her personality  and I couldn't change it.  

me - 35  DH - 41

My sweet babies:

Clara - 5

Cecily - 4-3-11  two weeks early and perfect!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,935
alc1113 replied on 07-05-2011 4:27 PM

NCdreaming:
I can't tell you how many times we would spend an entire play date or other activity with her on my hip, crying if I tried to put her down.

This was DD on sunday at a baptism we went to for an in law's baby....she does still do ok with other kids which I am happy about but she is really bad with adults anymore.  It started out of nowhere about  2 weeks ago and I was really starting to think I did something wrong.  Doesn't help when people tell you that you created a "psychological dependence" and she is a mommy's girl, as if I did something to make her not want to be around anyone else......I am so relieved to see both you and Minimurph describe exactly what DD is doing right now.  She actually did it to DH the first two days of it, it was crazy and we had no idea what was going on but within 2 days she was back to normal with him but I noticed the first day she acted strange with him, she did it with a checkout girl at the store. normally she would be smiling and happy when people talked to her so I was shocked when she screamed and cried just because the girl said "Hi".

Thanks to both of your for sharing, I feel so much better!

Minimurph- we were thinking about taking her to the Little Gym by us, looks like fun!  

Amy- 34 DH- 36 Mom to 4 furbabies & 3(2 furry, 1 not) who went over the rainbow bridge

Angel 1/09-blighted ovum after trying for 1 year Broken Heart

Angel 4/09- chemical

Angel 5/09- chemical

Cycle 4- TTA just for a couple months but had an "ooops" CD 12...BFP 9DPO on an CBE and 10DPO on an AE.....STICK!!!! Pray started progesterone 6/23 appt 9/3 heard HB! nuchal scan 8/24 follow up bw 9/18 negative Yes 15 DPO- 199 23 DPO- 7883 Fingers Crossed u/s 6w4d- HB 130, measuring 6w4d Yes[/size] 20w u/s 10/12... 22w follow up u/s.... 

Baby GirlCharlotte Elizabeth- born March 6, 2010 at 7:11pm, 8lbs, 15 ozs and 22 inches long. She is perfect!!!!!

Currently TTA, waiting till next year to decide if we will have another

For Mother with Child O almighty and Everlasting God Who through the operation of the Holy Christ, didst prepare the body and soul of the glorious Virgin Mary to be a worthy dwelling place of Thy divine Son; and, through the operation of the same Holy Ghost, didst sanctify Saint John the Baptist, while still in his mother’s womb; hearken to the prayers of Thy humble servant who implore thee, through the intercession of Saint Gerard, to protect her (me); that it may be cleansed by the saving water of baptism and, after a Christian life on earth, it may with its mother, attain everlasting bliss in Heaven. Amen.

Prayer To Avoid a Miscarriage Humble Virgin and Doctor of the Church, in thirty-three years thou didst achieve great perfection and became the counselor of Popes. Thou knowest the temptations of mothers today as well as the dangers that await unborn infants. Intercede for me that I may avoid miscarriage and bring forth a healthy baby who will become a true child of God. Amen.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS