help

Snack foods that are ok for an 8month old with a dairy allergy

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 350
nemosmom Posted: 04-15-2010 4:03 PM

My DS is just starting to explore different textures of food but still preferring mushy or pureed foods. And Mommy is just starting to feel a little more comfortable with DS exploring different texture - I still get nervous about the choking factor. Anyhow, I'm looking for fairly clean snack foods I can bring for DS when we are going out somewhere but some things that I have looked at (like the Baby Mum-Mums) either have a milk product or a "may have come in contact" warning on them. Any ideas?

ME (33)    DH (31) 

Baby Boy conceived after 2 years of TTC thanks to injects/IUI - born Aug 2009

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 13,872
minimurph replied on 04-15-2010 4:13 PM

DS is milk/egg/peanut/tree nut allergic. We used the Gerber Sweet Potato puffs before moving onto Cheerios...just for quick snacks to keep in a Snack Trap for trips out and about.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 4,964
piper replied on 04-15-2010 7:26 PM

At that age I think it was mostly Gerber puffs

me: 35 Kiss  DH: 44

Baby Boy Sept 2008 - IVF/ICSI

Baby Girl March 2011 - au natural

Not Ranked
Posts 350
nemosmom replied on 04-16-2010 7:34 PM

Thanks girls Smile I didn't know if DS was too young for the Gerber puffs but now I'll give them a try.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,407
mstrinity replied on 05-05-2010 10:29 PM

What about making something with tofu?I know it sounds strange... I can't speak from experience, but I am wanting to try it myself this month. Our DD (8 months) has to be gluten free for the first year, so we're in a similar situation :)

~ T

DD born 9/09/09, baby #2 due September 2011

I paper-chart, but I loaded a couple of my interesting charts to share:

my charts (triphasic pregnancy and post-partum)

Not Ranked
Posts 420
janmom replied on 05-06-2010 1:00 AM

O's cereal here, too as well as rice squares (like Chex) and rice cakes. Also, if you have a health food or REI store nearby, freeze-dried bananas and mango slices (Not like regular dried fruit, but freeze-dried. The texture is very light and airy but much less messier than fresh fruit while in the stroller or such). HTH!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 30,432
DaisyGrL replied on 05-07-2010 7:32 AM

Fruit slices (like chunks of pear and cantaloupe), cheerios (I only used the puffs once...it just seemed my DD wouldn't be satisfied with them), chunks of cheese, rice cakes, veggies (my DD loved to snack on green beans at that age).

Deanna + Dh + TTC since 8/2002=Madison

born 10.15.2008 @ 39.4 wks 8lbs 6oz

Not Ranked
Posts 2,058
chiefmir replied on 05-07-2010 8:54 AM

my DD had a milk protein allergy (leading to reflux exaccerbation and exczema) rather than an anaphalactic (spelling?) allergy... so we did avoid milk pretty carefully until she was closer to a year (when we added in tiny bits- like some butter as an ingredient- little by little).

she ate a TON of freeze dried fruit- from about 7 months on.  a friend of mine gets them by the case for me at Cosco (each box has like 24 easy-to-put-in-a-diaper-bag packaged servings).  they come as apple, pear, and mixed bananas/strawberries. she LOVES them. the bananas are the only ones i gave her closer to 11 months (versus 7months and on) because of their size and texture they were a little harder to gum up and she didn't have any teeth until after a year.

the trader joe's fruit is also good, but more expensive (if you are buying in bulk) and doesn't come in smaller sizes (which i loved for grabbing on the go).  their mango is delish- and we get it a lot- but it comes in large chunks which my DD (15 months) still has some trouble with, as it becomes slippery and harder to gum without getting too much in her mouth at once.  wiht that particular fruit, i still gave it by about 8 months, but used a knife to break it up into very small (like cheerio sized) pieces. 

also, not sure of any dairy in it, but how about veggie booty?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3,908
zzdeleted8910 replied on 05-08-2010 1:06 PM

The Gerber puffs will melt in his mouth.  My son likes the cherry and peach and sweet potato the best.  You can also try those Gerber crunchies if you break them in half or thirds for him (they also melt in his mouth).  My son likes the veggie dip ones.  You might need to read the label, but I don't recall dairy.  My son's father has a severe milk allergy--not lactose intolerance--so I remember before DS was a year, I had to be really careful.  It turns out DS didn't inherit it, so now he can have milk products. 

I didn't try cheerios until around 13 months and he still prefers crunchies or puffs.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3,656
NewEngland_Girl replied on 05-12-2010 9:05 PM

Rice cakes are great, my DS still loves them.   I use to cut tofu up into small cube sized pieces and shake them up in a baggie of crushed up Cheerios, he use to like that.   The freeze dried fruit is great, as is small pieces of soft fruit like peaches and pears.

Not Ranked
Posts 2,892
jmandyb replied on 05-20-2010 3:02 PM

The less processed foods you can do the better.

Why not try freeze dried fruits like someone suggested or other fruits (especially now that it is summer).  Just cut them up in small peices or bake them before hand.   Sometimes I bake apple slices before hand then cut them up into little peices that way they are softer.  You can do this for pears too but now I just wait for them to get really soft.  bananas seem to always be a hit but can be a bit messy.

Also my DS loves black beans.  I cute them in half but he actually perfers them cold or room temp not heated.  He had Great Northern white beans the other day and I broke them in half and he loved them too.  Peas are a great size too--I buy the frozen organic ones and it takes less then 5 minutes to heat up a ton and then you can him some right away and put the rest in the fridge.

Coconut yogurt is a good idea too--So delicious makes a great plain flavor that my DS loves.  They also make goat milk yogart too which are options for dairy free kiddos.

I too still worry about choking, my DH kids me about the bites I cut up for my DS (he is 14 months now).  Also my DS has had no dairy yet so everything I give him is dairy free.  Look around in you frozen veggie fruit section--might come up with some ideas there.  or go to wholesome homemade baby food website and they have good ideas.

Not Ranked
Posts 420
janmom replied on 06-28-2011 2:14 AM

bump

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,790
jbizzy replied on 07-02-2011 3:26 AM

We give dd puffed wheat cereal... but she doesn't swallow it usually, chews on it and comes back out!  Sometimes she does though.  Also, I watch her like a hawk (for choking).

She hates the mum-mums.

Me 36, borderline low progesterone, light endo & fibroids removed 10/6/09.... Dh 37, borderline low morphology 

TTC#1 March 2006

First BFP 1/09/2010 wild yam root 500 mg cd 1-9, maca root 900 mg until 11 dpo, clomid 50 mg cd 5-9, NPC from 3 dpo, procheive suppositories 1st trimester

TTC Charts    TTA Charts

16 dpo beta 397, 18 dpo beta 863 Yes

Baby Girl born @ 41 weeks:  7 lbs 13 oz's, 20 inches long and healthy Heart

LOTS TO LOSE - weight loss buddy group (click on it for link)

Not Ranked
Posts 350
nemosmom replied on 07-02-2011 7:22 PM

Funny thing - I went to respond to this thinking "I remember asking this question awhile back ... well, maybe I can contribute now that DS is 2" - then I realized that this was my post Big Smile

So, what I used a lot were freeze-dried fruit (DS still loves these), rice cakes and different types of dry cereals. As he got older, we used pita bread, deli meat (but I'd always check the label first) and cucumber slices.

And to update - DS outgrew his dairy intolerance at 18 months. Yay Smile

ME (33)    DH (31) 

Baby Boy conceived after 2 years of TTC thanks to injects/IUI - born Aug 2009

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS